Good morning to all. It is starting out to be a lovely day - not too warm yet, but at least the snow is melting. It finally feels like spring. Birds are returning from their winter homes. I awoke to hear about the earthquake in Japan and Tsunami warnings out for Hawaii, California and Alaska.
I am home today, but I do hope to check out the newly remodeled Food Mill. They have been closed for about two months. I have really missed having a local store open. The Food Mill is a Quick mart sort of store - with gas and basic groceries, but they also bag bulk foods for several other stores along with theirs. They have flours, seasonings, flavorings, pastas, teas, honey and jelly/jam - much of that locally produced. They also carry nuts, chocolate chips and the like, gluten free products, and locally raised meats.It's good to have them open once again. The store is now twice as large as they started out.
I am also reading a couple of new books. I'm reading one which tells the story of the Secret Service and their protection of John F. Kennedy at the time of his assassination. I am also reading Late for Tea at the Deer Palace - by Tamara Chalabi. Her family lived in Iraq.I am also reading or planning to read a series by Bonnie Leon - she writes about Alaska in many of her books. Touching the Clouds is about a young female pilot who moves to Alaska in the early days of plane service in Alaska. Now there are planes flying in and out all day long in nearly every village in the state, but then it was still a small industry.If you watch the show Flying Wild in Alaska - on Discovery Channel, you will learn about ERA - they are the largest private plane service to about 2/3 of western Alaska. They are based out of Unalakleet, although they have planes and pilots in every hub. In a town of 700 which Unalakleet has, they have an airport at least the size of Eau Claire - 60,000 or even larger. Planes of all sizes come and go all day long. Bethel, which has a pop. of about 6,000, has a very large airport - a hub for all of western Alaska. We love that show and it's just fascinating!!!!
I will likely keep the Earthquake news on all day while trying to get some cleaning done. I made pancakes for breakfast - something I rarely do. It is rare for both Lynn and I to be home in the morning. I made Maple Syrup Sour Cream pancakes using Bisquick - the low fat version. I also cooked up Turkey Bacon.
God bless and have a wonderful day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment